29 April, 2011

Stylish Blogger (apparently!)

This Stylish Blogger Award is doing the rounds (I can't imagine that it originated in the gaming sector!) but I am happy to be in such august company. It doesn't have the usual threat of a Chain Letter (i.e. do this or else!) so I took the time to compile my lists...


1. Thank and link back to the person giving you the award.

Ashley, of Paint it Pink was kind enough to mention me in dispatches

2. Share seven things about yourself.

a. My first wargaming experience was Little Wars-style shenanigans between the Afrika Korps and the 8th Army in the furrows of our back garden.

b. I am a qualified library and information professional, though I have only worked a year in an actual library since I got out

c. I've always been an avid reader (though my teenage practice of re-reading stuff has definitely passed). Click on the My Library tab on the blog to see some of the 2500+ books in the house

d. In school and at university I had a summer job testing barley and deciding whether we would buy it for beer. Oh the joys of negotiating with farmers who may not have agreed with my assessment!

e. Before the two girls arrived our holidays were usually trips to Mediterranean countries. My wife would get sun, and I would get historical sites - a perfect compromise!

f. Calvin & Hobbes is the funniest comic strip I know - give Attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goons a try, you will thank me later.

g. I am also a roleplayer, though these days I'm mostly running games rather than playing in them. You can catch up with my current fantasy setting The Giyhonan Chronicles

3. Select 10-15 blogs who you think deserve this award.

This list is neither exhaustive nor in any particular order, and I have avoided choosing blogs which have already received the honour.

While the Campaigns of General William Augustus Pettygree haven't been updated as often recently, the posts there are just of a fantastic quality. Such drama and story-telling isn't common in wargaming.

The quality of Chris' painting and conversions on 20mm Moderns over at Small Scale Operations is just fantastic.

Vinnie's work on Lonely Gamers, especially the sheer scale of his 28mm games continually take my breath away.

Again with the conversions! Eduardo at Hetairoi Wargames hits all those projects I dream of: 28mm Samurai, Gladiators and Galley Warfare.

The first hint of nepotism, Conrad Kinch is a good friend and regular gaming companion. But his thoughts over on Joy and Forgetfulness are always very interesting and his interpretation of what's on-topic keeps his readers on their toes.

I'm a big fan of Piquet, and in Eric Burgess' Din of Battle, I find someone who can turn it to siege warfare in the Age of Reason, through Colonials and all the way to 40K!

Ruaridh fights a losing battle against the Ooh Shiny Complex it seems that all wargamers are afflicted with.

Tiny Solitary Soldiers takes on 15mm Sci-Fi with gusto.

Another gamer concentrating on a single period in Golconda Rising. As well as expounding the historical context, there is some really well-turned out armies on display.

Fran, aka The Angry Lurker discusses a lot more than just gaming, reviewing book and films in gamer-friendly genres.

4. Contact these bloggers and let them know about the award.

On it!

3 comments:

More like this